reclaimed wood card holder: bird & brush 12 pack
shown here with a hickory base & one of the 12 4x6 notecards included...
With the photo, you can see there is a small space to the side of the card for a little something special. An air plant perched in a toothpick holder or cup, a small stack of water-smoothed stones, or something else that is a special-to-you reminder.
stories include a mix of our bird & brush series:
- life wants: this is all life wants - for you to be your own kind of beautiful & not the kind that makes you forget who you are
- light: It's the way of all things that the night ends & the light returns. The light always returns.
- simple truth: her whole life shifted the day she started to tell the truth about what made her happy
- in between: the first ones to map the stars also knew to map the dark places in between, because they saw the world as it was, whole & alive & every path you take is never only one thing, but always threading between the known & the unknown, between where you are going & what you imagine that to be.
- full size: unwilling to be smaller than she is...
- be willing: let go of the idea of who you think you should be & be willing to become who you are.
- making windows: quietly moving through the world making windows, where before there were none.
- infinite space: breathe in the infinite space of what if
- unleashed: forgetting all the rules others had taught her, she spread her wings & remembered she can fly
- focus: not sure she'll ever quite get over how easy it is to fly once you're not wasting all that time wondering if it's even possible
- secret notion: secretly harboring the notion she might be able to fly...
- invisible ceilings: she built her home with invisible ceilings so there's always room for her to fly
- one each of 12 different notecards + one envelope to hold them
- holder: average dimensions of reclaimed wood holder: 8 1/8" W x 1 1/4" H x 1 3/4" D, wood species will vary according to what we have on hand, Flying Edna studio signature on the bottom of the piece
- comes in an organic cotton bag with a small card describing the wood species and origin, attached with a raw silk ribbon
how we make these...
The wood for our card holders is sourced from local small businesses dedicated to repurposing razed buildings, trees that are diseased, or taken down due to storms.
This means each piece carries along its own history. We purposely do not fill in the bug holes or hide the knots & scarring. We do address the checks (the splits & cracks) that have appeared over time due to weather changes & stresses in the wood.
These holders are purposely & perfectly imperfect.
Cut by a Canadian-American artist & craftsman who lives nearby, Steve Pearson (also the former head of two nationally recognized MFA actor training programs), Fia then shapes & waxes the holders, & it's Kai's art that is on the cards.
Every card holder comes with a tag describing the origins of the pieces inside, attached by a raw silk ribbon to an organic cotton bag.