crow dream artblock
This piece came from a dream Kai had, with a crow person sitting down beside him & beginning a running commentary on humans who've forgotten they're part-animal, too.
The original crow piece is layered graphite, paint, ink & charcoal, over a handwritten text fragment from his dream on the language of crows. We've used this as a template for this storyblock (shown here on a reclaimed piece of black walnut...)
- wood species will vary according to what we have on hand
- average dimensions: 4.5" W x 5.25" H x 1 1/4" D
- each block is shaped & painted here in the studio with our unique bird & brush process: the final piece has 5 layers of paint & ink (including a secret hand written wish) making each an original
- story on the front, with Flying Edna studio signature on the back
- natural grain on the sides and back exposed to show the story of wood
- comes in an organic cotton bag and a card describing the wood species and origin
art by Kai in January, 2021.
repurposed & handcrafted...
We have the deep joy of working with incredibly beautiful wood, sometimes from trees that are hundreds of years old... This means every piece that leaves our studio carries along its own history & is entirely unique.
The wood species will vary according to what we can source from local small businesses that share our ethos.
All our reclaimed wood products are made to order - shaped, sanded & waxed here in our studio. Woodcuts are done freehand. Unless stated otherwise, painted pieces have our unique bird & brush process: 4-6 layers of paint, graphite & ink (including a secret hand written wish between layers).
Our wood pieces come with a small card telling a bit about us & the piece, & are either wrapped in repurposed pages from old books or in an organic cotton bag.