miranda in autumn artblock
a gentle way to enjoy the changing of seasons...
artblock shown is created on a reclaimed maple crossbeam: 4 3/4" W x 7 3/8" h x 1 3/4" D
each artblock ordered plants one tree
- size & hardwood will vary according to what we have on hand
- packaged in an organic cotton bag
- each block is shaped & painted here in the studio with our unique bird & brush process: the final piece has at least eight layers of paint, ink, & graphite (including a secret handwritten wish...) - making each an original
art created in August 2023 by Kai
- all the wood in our studio is reclaimed, from a local company here on Cape Cod. Except for a few random pieces we brought with us from Montana...:-)
- Here in the studio, we sand, paint, & hand finish each piece with an earth-friendly beeswax.
- Flying Edna studio signature on the back
- natural grain on the sides and back exposed to show the raw wood
how we make these...
We have the deep joy of working with incredibly beautiful repurposed wood, sometimes from trees that are hundreds of years old... This means every piece is unique & carries along its own history. We purposely do not fill in the bug holes or hide the knots & scarring, which is why each piece is perfectly imperfect & unique.
The wood species will vary according to what we can source from local small businesses dedicated to repurposing razed buildings, trees that are diseased, or taken down due to storms.
These pieces come with a small card telling a bit about us & the piece, & is either wrapped or comes in an organic cotton bag.
All our reclaimed wood products are shaped, sanded & waxed here in our studio. Woodcuts are done freehand.
Unless stated otherwise, our painted pieces are our unique bird & brush process: 4-6 layers of paint, graphite & ink (including a secret hand written wish).